Monday, February 27

*sploosh* goes the sun

It didn't fall into the ocean tonight like it used to when I was spreading my wings. Tonight it fell on a hill, past the science building, and through the leaf-bare and brittle maples outside my window. I'm glad I have a window to the west.

First, picture a furry orange tabby cat exploding onto a bed of picked-apart cotton balls (and I hope you picked the name 'Samantha' for her, because it is only fitting).

Now erase that image because it is disturbing (but for some it sounds lovely).

Now imagine the first seeping of color from the painbrush into a glass water cup after painting a picture of Samantha, the orange tabby. Or, picture the tea escaping from an Orange Chai tea bag into an already-warmed cup of milk. Oh! Look! Miss Pastel Pink has entered the scene from the top of the stage. She's just dancing there on top of the fur and orange chai, but she'll twirl right into the mix of action anytime now. And Llilac? I didn't know Lilac was envited this evening. Lovely to meet you, Lilac. Welcome.

Only a minute has passed now but the streaming white has separated into bigger chunks. I have a feeling that the sun has just exhaled. The screaming orange and flamboyant red were the point of no return, like when you think the tunnel will never end and your eyes are about to pop out of your head if you don't take a breath. Now the sun can breathe again...in China.

The ironic part of it all: I watched the sunset through my window hanging of a stained glass cross. I had to look through it to see the vibrancy of the sky. Why? Because something on the other side seemed better than the cross. But, the sun is gone now. The sky is black. The brittle trees even blend into the night sky. And my cross still hangs.

3 comments:

Ordinary Radical said...

Huh?......Kayla, can you translate please? (and start a blog of your own so I can read your brilliance as well as Jenn's....b/c I know you are capable...)

Sorry Jenn, how else am I supposed to get a hold of her?

Brett said...

I saw this amazing sunset also, Jennifer! Go check out my blog or flickr site to see some pictures...

Anonymous said...

The beautiful thing too is that the colors glorified the brilliance of the stain-glass cross. But I don't want to try to sit and intellectualize a comment on such an inspired moment. Praise be to the cross, and thanks as always, for sharing.