Saturday, February 18

flawless routine

"It's not only how he presents her, it's also how she responds to that presentation."

I heard this from the announcer last night as I was watching olympic ice dancing. He was talking about the couple on the ice, obviously. But...his comment got me thinking. That same line of thinking can easily be applied to the Church. How does she respond to the movement of God? What is her technical score? What does her routine look like? Is it tight, in-line, flawless?

The best part of this analogy is this: it's not just about her, the Bride, the Church. Ice dancing takes two people. The lady alone looks lost, incomplete, and just plain silly without her partner. So does the Church. She would just be dancing out there, swinging her arms and legs around, holding on to nothing. She would probably fall. The guy and gal are judged together and scored together on the rink. The Church partners with God and responds to Him. He presents her, but how will she respond?

Did you know that the ice dancing couple loses points for every second they are not touching? I know nobody is keeping a tally, but what would the Church's score look like if we counted the seconds she is disconnected from movement of God?

I hope we see roses on the rink after our ice dance.

3 comments:

Drew Caperton said...

Wow. Especially the comment about losing point while not touching. Wow. Really good stuff, Jennifer.

Kristy said...

That is really an INCREDIBLE analogy. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Amazing. I saw the same performance and comment. I also had the same thoughts, though you are more articulate about it than I have been. I thought it was profound when one of my 13 year old students recognized how it connected to the mark of unity for the Church. (We have been discussing the Church as being "one, holy, catholic and apostolic.") And now, I just happened to stumble across your post! God must be really guiding us to unity! He even uses the internet!