Saturday, December 24

the christmas post

I don't really want to make a long "what's been happening since I finished my fall semester and have been home being a couch potato" post. So, this is a

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JESUS!

post. Well-said, jennifer. My family and I are ringing in Christmas in Bernice, Louisiana. The nursing home across the street from my grandma's house is shooting off fireworks as I type this. We are watching the 24-hour Christmas Story marathon. And it is only 9:15pm. Whooo-wah. I heart the holidays.

In other short, abbreviated news: Why do I not feel ready for Christmas? Why on earth would I want to delay this celebration? This feeling comes over me every Christmas. I feel like I want to postpone the celebrations, like I want to get "more in the mood." Shouldn't I be living each day "in the mood" for the return of the Savior? Get in the mood. It is all we should be living for. The Comforter HAS come. We celebrate because we're so thankful God stretched on skin, and because we're so darn excited for his return.

2 comments:

Two Guns said...

Whooo-wah indeed. I honestly don't think the human being was designed to be in the mood for anything all the time (I think it has something to do with glands) but I agree, Christ has died, Christ has risen, and Christ will come again gosh dangit.

Anonymous said...

What are you trying to get in the mood for? I'm not convinced the way that we celebrate Christmas has much of anything to do with rejoicing in the birth of a savior. There are few things that I can think of that are more worldly then our Christmas traditions. True they are centered around time together with fam, and showing love through thoughtful gift giving. But, I don't think its weird to not be able to get into the mood at a birthday party when the guest of honor is not really recognized.