Friday, November 11

today is normal?

I feel like a cowgirl today. This could have stemmed from a number of sources:
1. I am wearing a brown belt.
2. I recently saw the play Oklahoma! at the Walton Arts Center.
3. I live in Siloam Springs, AR.
4. I participated full-heartedly in a bluegrass sing-along at a nursing home last night.
(There's pow'r, pow'r, wonder-workin pow'r. There's pow'r in the blood of the Lamb.)

Speaking of which, 'What a friend we do have in Jesus.' He is the 'Rock of Ages.' I am today, just as every day, 'Amaz[ed] by Grace.'

I've made the library on campus my home-away-from-home. I like the smell of old periodicles. I suffer from an unstoppable urge to check out as many books as are allowed. (that's 15, by the way). Did you know that Teddy Roosevelt and his brother Kermit went on an expedition through Tibet? I didn't either, until I checked out East of the Sun and West of the Moon. It was in the row of books right by the bathroom. I also checked out a couple others simply because I like their covers. I ended up liking their guts, too. Longfellow, Ruskin, Milton. Interesting collection. Maybe the only thing they have in common istheir last check-out date, before me: the 1960's.

I had a dream that I inherited a mission agency. Is that even possible? In my dream I arrived on the scene where a family had just learned of the death of the founders of the agency. I guess you'd call it good timing, but they decided I was who they had prayed would come and take over. I thought this would leave a pleasant aftertaste when I awoke, but today I've felt even more overwhelmed....about choosing the right agency, about my where to serve, about time committments, about the "real world."

I read about the martyr Nicholas Ridley in preparation for a paper and presentation in a ministry class. He was burned at the stake under Queen Mary, but his body would not burn. He literally had to lean into the fire to finally die.

Bring then, Lord, the fire.
I promise to lean into the flame.

ps: my hair is dark chestnut now. I went to the store for cough drops and came out with a box of #62, Herbal Essence hair dye. Much thanks to Flora. She was right, it did make me feel better than Hall's Mentho-lyptus, cherry flavored. Now, I'm more chestnut flavored.


1 comment:

*g* said...

isn't life better brunette?