Saturday, March 3

qatra qatra darya mesha

"I want to teach you a proverb," said Wakil. "'Qatra qatra darya mesha'--we say this in A*stan to mean that drop by drop, you will see progress, so much to make a mighty flowing river."

This is the first of many proverbs I learned over tea and sweets today. I'm trying to write them all down, but my phoenetics is a little rusty, not to mention my Dari. I clung to this proverb, as it describes quite well my introduction to this city, culture, and language.

We arrived safely yesterday to Kbl. What a trip. The airport "situation" was one for the record books. I felt like a diplomat, recieving special privileges, but also like I didn't exist. It was weird. The luggage belt might as well not have existed, also. The unloading of luggage from the plane could be likened to the way a CAT front-end loader shovels dirt from pile to pile. It appeared that our suitcases were scooped from from the belly of the plane and just dumped in a mud puddle.

I haven't experienced much of this city, yet. Today we plan to take a driving tour and do a little shopping. I need a jacket, badly! It is snowing here, and I have an inappropriate coat (it doesn't cover my hind-end). The "cuddle duds" on loan from my sis are working wonders, though. I felt a bit bi-polar packing for this trip. India and A*stan are basically opposite in climate.

I'm making friends with the employees of the guesthouse. I already have an Afghan name, which I can't pronounce yet, and they are very patiently teaching me Dari. Sohaila took me to the roof today to view the city. The sun had bured through the clouds and snow just enough for me to be taken back by the mountains surrounding this city. It is other-worldly, really. Maybe the roof isn't the best place to be in a city like this, but I can't imaging finding a better view anywhere else. Sohaila is a beautiful woman, and I can only hope to have many more tea times and language study with her.

1 comment:

Ordinary Radical said...

Dude...no love.

Shuma durust nestein.