Saturday, June 18

a cruel, cruel joke

At some point in history someone played an incredibly cruel joke on the Turkish people. I have discovered it and plan to set them straight.

It is a common belief among Turks that if any breeze/wind/air moves across your skin you will instantly become sick and die. Seriously. This belief plays out on almost all public transportation, in all homes and businesses, and any other enclosed place where sweaty people gather. That means no fans, air conditioning, or open windows. Anywhere.

The family I am staying with is a die-hard NO BREEZE family. I plugged in a fan today and it was immediately ripped out of the wall. I have no clue what was said to me, but I have a feeling it was something like, "ARE YOU CRAZY!!!??? Do you want to catch a death of a cold? That breeze could kill you!"

Alas, I sit in puddles of my own sweat. I'm sweating like a man, I'm not going to lie. I have that v-shaped sweat around my collar and I'm totally "pitted out." The small of my back is always moist. Gross, I know.

Please join in campaign with me to welcome all air-conditioning. If ever you have the opportunity to turn on the air, please do it. For my sake. You're not fooling anyone with your "I want to save gas" schpeel. Just pump up the AC. Make your fingers numb. Because, 8 time zones away, your dear friend is sweating in places she didn't know could sweat and not enjoying any cool air move across her body...ever.

2 comments:

James Miller said...

Hooray for air conditioning!! Hooray!!

Brett said...

I'll never understand the "no A/C" policy. It seems especially ludicrous considering that the men always wear long pants.

Do Turkish people have a lower body temperature than we do or something?

Of course, most of them are thin... maybe it's their national weight-loss method.